There are many discussions about this topic and an endless debate between which database engine to choose InnoDB or MyISAM.
Both options are practical and efficient the oldest and the default used is usually MyISAM and in most cases we can change our engine when we want or need. Now I come with this question:
What engine is more efficient?
- The structure of the tables in MyISAM are simpler and is most recommended for users.
- MyISAM allows table locking.
- With MyISAM you get high speed on SELECT because they don’t have integrity checks.
- Support for transaction type ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability) that guarantees the integrity of the tables.
- Record locking.
- Recovery of unexpected problems through the transaction log.
Now if you want to decide what database engine to use try to answer the following questions:
- Your databases will receive INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE much longer than SELECT ? you should choose InnoDB
- You need to do full text searches? you should choose MyISAM
- Do you need data integrity? you should choose InnoDB
- Less Hard drive and RAM? you should choose MyISAM
- You are not sure which engine to choose? you should choose MyISAM
I hope after you read this you will bea ble to choose the best solution for you. Enjoy